Founded in 1857, the Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is Chicago’s oldest museum with the newest building. For more than 160 years, the Nature Museum has been dedicated to educating Chicagoans about nature and science.
Today, the Nature Museum distinguishes itself by providing more hands-on science instruction than any other museum in Chicago, and by the opportunities it provides for visitors to experience nature up close in exhibits such as its iconic Judy Istock Butterfly Haven. The Nature Museum also focuses on research, conservation and education about nature in the Midwest through participatory exhibits and programs, educational outreach, and ongoing scientific activity.
Chicago Academy of Sciences / Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
The Chicago Academy of Sciences/Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is hiring independent contractors to install and dismantle temporary exhibitions in the Special Exhibitions Gallery and for other events during the year on a temporary basis- generally winter, late spring, and early fall.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Requirements vary for each exhibition. Most contractors will be required, under direction of the Exhibit Production Supervisor and/or the Lead Exhibit Fabricator to:
- Assist in preparing the gallery (including new construction, and repainting).
- Assist the forklift operator loading and unloading trucks at the dock.
- Handle crates to and from the dock, the freight elevator and the 2nd floor gallery.
- Pack and unpack exhibit components and move empty crates to and from storage.
- Distribute and assemble or disassemble components per provided instructions and drawings.
- Assist in hanging, moving, and focusing lighting instruments in the gallery.
- Clear and clean the gallery and the exhibition in preparation for opening.
- Ability to lift and hold up to 60 lbs.
- Familiarity with the safe use of hand and power tools, dock equipment and personal protective gear, and general carpentry/assembly experience are preferred.
- A positive attitude toward the work and the exhibition team, pleasant and professional conduct toward all museum staff and visitors, and self-motivation to complete assigned tasks are required.
Compensation: Compensation starts at $15 per hour working 6-10 hours per day.
Some evenings and/or weekends are required.
How To Apply:
Please send resume to CAScontractor@naturemuseum.org
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
The Chicago Academy of Sciences/Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.