- Saturday - Sunday
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 2430 N. Cannon Dr.
Chicago, IL 60614
All opportunities are listed below. If there are no current positions listed, please check back often as we post job openings as they become vacant.
Supervisor Title: VP and Curator of Museum Experience
Summary of Position: The Nature Museum prides itself on original, creative, educational exhibition that inspire our visitors to learn more about world around them. The Exhibit Developer acts in all facets of exhibition creation, from concept development to prototyping and installation, working collaboratively in teams, including scientists, artists, collections management, educators and designers for the research, development, interpretation and writing of permanent and temporary exhibitions. This is a full time exempt position located at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
- Develops original content for temporary and permanent
- Acts under the direction of the Vice President and Curator of Museum Experience and manages outside contractors (eg. Writers, evaluators) where necessary
- Primary office is located in Museum, occasional regional travel required.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate and lead exhibit concept development for in house temporary exhibitions.
- Participate as the primary exhibit content developer for both in house and leased exhibitions.
- Conduct primary topic research and develop Content Resource Document for in house displays
- Research, write and edit exhibit labels, visitor handouts and other exhibition interpretation materials
- Research, develop and prototype exhibit interactives
- Serve as project manager during in house exhibit implementation phase.
- Research and compile leased exhibition possibilities.
- Coordinate with exhibiting artists and supervise contract exhibit designer
- Bachelors degree (MA preferred) in museum education, environmental education, anthropology or related field. Minimum 5 years experience in exhibition development.
- Experience in interactive development and prototyping
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide range of audiences
- Extensive research, writing and copy editing experience
- Experience managing budgets, contracts and working within tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and a basic understanding of VectorWorks and AutoCAD
- A demonstrated commitment to nature, conservation, and community improvement.
To apply for Exhibit Developer position: Please send a resume and a cover letter in PDF format to ExDeveloper1@naturemuseum.org
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
The Chicago Academy of Sciences/Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.