- Saturday - Sunday
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 2430 N. Cannon Dr.
Chicago, IL 60614
All opportunities are listed below. If there are no current positions listed, please check back often as we post job openings as they become vacant.
Reporting to the Vice President and Curator of Museum Experience, the Building Engineer 2 performs in all facets of building operations, from HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical maintenance to exhibit and special event support. This full time hourly position is primarily located at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Lincoln Park with occasional work located at the museum’s collection facility in the Ravenswood neighborhood.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Service and maintenance of Lochinvar natural gas heaters, 2 million BTU output each and 33 ton rooftop chiller including compressors and condenser fans attached to the chiller, filter changes, cleaning of coils and emergency belt changes
- Routinely perform upkeep and repair of all building systems
- Control and adjust HVAC system via direct digital control, utilizing computer programs
- Service and maintenance of building plumbing as well as effect general plumbing fixture repairs
- Light electrical repair, carpentry and renovation work
- Service and maintenance of Butterfly Haven environment mechanicals
- Maintenance and repair of small equipment, electric and gas motors
- Assist with the construction, setup and strike of temporary exhibits
- Assist with building maintenance issues at off-site collections facility
- Assist in the setup and breakdown of AV equipment and building lighting for presentations, meetings and special events
- Share responsibility for the scheduling and coordination of contract service personnel, including elevator, fire alarm, pump, fountain, etc.
- Maintenance, repair and troubleshoot on lighting issues including ballast and daily lamp changing
- Coordination and supervision of service contractors and personnel
- This full-time position will require a work schedule that will include one weekend day as well as occasional evening work and taking call duty
- High School Diploma or GED equiv. Bachelors or Associates degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or HVAC installation, service and maintenance preferred
- Proficient in verbal and written communication
- Experience in carpentry and light construction
- Excellent familiarity with wood/ metal working machinery and equipment
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs
- Must be comfortable working on ladders and elevated heights
- Ability to operate a forklift and skidsteer a plus
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum is seeking a Human Resources Assistant to work four hours per day Monday through Friday.
This important position will report to the HR Director and handle a variety of tasks including but not limited to:
- Assist with daily administration and annual enrollment for all benefit programs, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, FSA.
- Review and reconcile monthly benefit statements.
- Assist with 401K enrollment. Assist employee connection to outside advisors.
- Assist with FMLA compliance and administration.
- Assist with recruitment efforts, including posting positions, scheduling and confirming interviews, completing and sending follow up correspondence, background checks.
- Assist with on-boarding new employees.
- Assist with off-boarding employees.
- Maintain and update personnel files, including electronic files on Paylocity system.
- Complete background checks and annual updates for all employees, volunteers and contractors.
- Completing and submitting paperwork to external agencies including worker’s compensation claims, unemployment claims, verification of employment, etc.
- Assist with organization and coordination of museum-wide museum training, including but not limited to the emergency training.
- Assist with employee communications.
- Maintain employee postings.
- Assist organization and coordination of with museum wide events for employees.
- Maintain and update organization charts.
- Maintain job descriptions.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to HR director and Finance
This position requires accuracy, strong organizational skills, positive attitude and ability to work well with others. Strong experience with Word and Excel required.
The position requires consistent hours every day, but does have some flexibility as to what those hours could be. The museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is located at Fullerton and Cannon Drive in Lincoln Park. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greeting and processing Museum visitors at the front desk
- Working the register in the store/café
- Monitoring our Butterfly Haven
- Working the coat check window
- Assisting with school group processing
Your pleasant and professional customer service attitude will be critically important to this position! The position offers between 16-20 hours per week and requires work on either Saturday or Sunday (or both) and some holidays. We will make every effort to establish a work schedule that fits with your other commitments. The Museum is open 7 days a week – 362 days per year. We are closed only on Thanksgiving, Christmas day, and the first Friday in May.
Come join our Museum at this exciting time as we offer our visitors a wonderful science and nature experience! We are an Equal Opportunity Employer located at Fullerton and Lake Shore Drive. Please send your resume to email@example.com.