Print Logo
Chicago Academy of Sciences Logo

The Chicago Academy of Sciences was founded in 1857 to give scientists and nature aficionados a place to study and share the specimens they collected. From this simple beginning, the Academy developed a national and international reputation for its leadership in conservation, its collection and citizen science. Dubbed the first Museum in the West, the Academy's collection has expanded to 250,000 specimens, is the definitive collection of Chicago and the region's natural history and is a valuable resource for researchers. The Academy's research restoration and conservation work directly benefit local ecology. Artifacts from the collection are featured throughout the Nature Museum, the public face of the Academy.


We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Chicago Park District on behalf of the citizens of Chicago.

©The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum